I woke up this morning still a little hungover from last night but I was glad my iPhone alarm survived the night and woke me up.
It was a first for me, traveling to Pudong airport because I came in from Hongqiao - as an aviation enthusiast, I had to. The commute itself was a tourist attraction in its own right - the maglev and the architecture that is Pudong airport, but first, brekkie at McDonald's. One thing I love about China's Mackers is there are so many options but in the end, I opted for what I thought was a "safe choice" - Sausage McMuffin with Egg.
It was well - weird. It uses a Filet-O-Fish bun, pickles, onions and sauce from the Hamburger and of course, the Sausage McMuffin "component" of pork patty and whole egg.
You can't go to Shanghai and NOT ride the Maglev.
Sure, the "city" station isn't located downtown. Yes, you've to brave the crowds in the Shanghai Metro. BUT the 8 minute journey feels every bit worth the inconvenience. The experience? Unlike any other... except if you've flown on a commercial jet, then it's kinda like that.
I had underestimated my commute to Pudong airport and arrived a little too early, especially considering since I already checked in online. However, I didn't really feel bored because Pudong airport is a spotters' haven - British Airways, United, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic, Aeroflot, ANA, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, EVA Air, Hong Kong Airlines, Aeromexico B777-200ER... and a whole host of China Southern Airlines, Air China, China Eastern aircraft.
It was really cool to be delayed - we were sat at the parking stand for an additional 20 minutes because the Shanghai-Hong Kong route was closed by the Chinese military.
Aboard my flight...
I didn't really take pictures of my Hong Kong-Singapore flight because I was very tired, drifting in and out of sleep.